Construction Materials Testing Technician: ( Mobile, AL )
GMC Geotechnical & Construction Services Division is currently seeking a Construction Materials Testing Technician (or Inspector) in the Mobile, Alabama area. Primary duties may include performing QA/QC tests (soils, masonry, reinforced concrete, structural steel, post-tensioning, fireproofing, etc.). Travel may be required. The position will be predominately field located.
For these positions, the employees will be providing quality control testing and ICC special inspection duties for commercial, retail, educational, low to high-rise, manufacturing, transportation, etc. construction projects. Successful candidates must perform on site observations/inspections to confirm compliance with the local building code and project contract documents, collect samples per ASTM & project requirements, perform specific QA/QC tests on construction materials and building components per ASTM, ACI, etc. standards, and maintain detail records of observations, inspections and test results. Work is generally performed unsupervised (i.e. employee is in the field as the Company’s representative) but under the direction of a Professional Engineer or Project Manager.
Minimum Qualifications, Experience and Education:
- 2+ years’ experience performing multi-discipline special inspections & tests for ICC certified inspectors
- ACI Level I (minimum) for concrete sampling/testing, or the ability to secure such
- ICC Certifications in Soils, Structural Concrete, Post-tensioning, Masonry, Fireproofing or the ability to obtain are a plus
- NICET Level II in soils, or the ability to secure such is a plus
- Radiation safety trained for the use of Nuclear Density Gauges, or the ability to secure such is a plus
- The ability to read plans & specifications
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
- Valid state driver’s license with clean driving record