Do Good. Be Creative. Give Back.
Can Do Good is a design-build competition steered by GMC that provides students with hands-on learning and teaches the importance of giving back to the community. The competition is open to kindergarten through 12th grade students in Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee. Students organize canned food drives and design and build creative structures using the collected items, which are then donated to a local food bank or charitable organization. GMC will match the donation of the winning team from each division, in addition to presenting them with the title of Best Can Do Good Structure in the Southeast and a check for $1,000!
New This Year!
The purpose of Can Do Good is twofold: 1) to provide students with an opportunity to learn more about the architecture, engineering and construction industry, and 2) to emphasize the importance of giving back to the community. Every year, millions of people are impacted by natural disasters, and 2017 has certainly been no exception. Food banks and other nonprofit organizations are especially vital when it comes to disaster response and recovery.
With the record-breaking storms that have battered the U.S. and surrounding areas, including many of our neighboring communities, supporting these organizations is of utmost importance. As a result, we have made some changes to this year’s competition to further realize the purpose of Can Do Good:
- This year, the team from each division that collects the most cans will automatically advance to the finals. The remaining two spots will be filled by the teams with the most votes, or “likes,” on their photos in the Facebook voting portion of the competition.
- We have added a “Community Impact” category to the final judging criteria. Judges will award points based on the number of cans/items collected, creative fundraising ideas and other service-related aspects.
2017-18 Can Do Good Competition Deadlines and Key Dates:
- Entry Deadline: Dec. 7, 2017 (Entry Form + 3 photos)
- Facebook Voting: Dec. 14, 2017 - Jan. 12, 2018 (Like Can Do Good on Facebook!)
- Winners Announced: End of January 2018